InteRussia: a lecture on the contemporary media environment

International Relations
On 4 April, the participants of the first 2023 fellowship on international relations visited the headquarters of the Rossiya Segodnya media group.

The guests took part in a workshop on working with the media led by Oleg Dmitriev, PhD in Philology, Professor at the Institute of Media of the Higher School of Economics, Advisor at Rossiya Segodnya International Information Agency. The speaker taught the fellows ways to verify information on social media and fight against fake news.

At the beginning of the conversation, he outlined the goals of alternative media and described the professional approach that should be taken by international journalists:

"RT, Sputnik and, for example, Al-Jazeera provide a different perspective on world events: they need to be heard on a global scale. However, the difference between audiences of native speakers of different languages must be taken into account. That is why Sputnik Arabic differs from Sputnik in Germany. You have to ask yourself every time: how am I going to present the news, if I am in London? And what if it is Cairo?"

The journalist also described the phenomenon of post-truth by giving an example of the vote on Britain’s exit from the European Union:

"Why did the people vote for Brexit? Because somebody told them that they would become more independent of Europe and would no longer pay for EU membership. In reality the money which Britain was sending to Europe never had anything to do with the grassroots, as it was not public funds."

According to Oleg Dmitriev, today 30% of news sources report facts. The other 70% reflect outside opinions about these events.

InteRussia is a traditional fellowship programme for foreign specialists and a joint project of the Gorchakov Fund, MGIMO University and Rossotrudnichestvo, which is also implemented as part of the ‘‘New Generation’’ programme.

The programme gives young scholars from all over the world an opportunity to carry out a scientific research under the guidance of the leading academic staff of MGIMO’s Institute for International Studies. The current intake consists of young international relations specialists from India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Madagascar and Tanzania.